As the holiday season continues, retailers providing Same-Day Delivery aren’t the only ones gearing up for the best month of all. Christmas is almost here and big name carriers are strategically setting their shipping deadlines to ensure optimal on-time deliveries.
Yahoo recently discussed how FedEx, UPS and others have all released their shipping deadlines in order for shoppers to get their packages on or before Christmas Day. The big day is creating a time-sensitivity for gifts that goes unmatched throughout the year. If there is any holiday on a global scale that consumers deem critical for their packages to on time, it is Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa.
All of these carriers each have their expected package volume and have planned accordingly. FedEx forecasts that it will ship 25 million packages on peak days during the holiday season. UPS,FedEx’s core competitor, predicted that it would be delivering over 700 million packages between Black Friday and New Year’s Eve, which is a 14% increase from 2015. The carrier giant has also guaranteed its’ deliveries by Christmas Eve per its’ Christmas schedule. Lastly, the US Postal Service, slowly moving beyond its’ financial challenges in recent years, expects to deliver 750 million packages this holiday season, equating to a 12% jump from last year. The USPS is also has guaranteed delivery by Christmas, but only for domestic services.
- Dec. 16 — Last day to ship FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery
- Dec. 19 — Last day to ship FedEx Express Saver
- Dec. 21 — Last day to ship FedEx 2Day A.M and FedEx 2Day
- Dec. 22 — Last day to ship FedEx Standard Overnight, FedEx Priority Overnight, and FedEx First Overnight.
- Dec. 23 — FedEx Same-Day City
- Dec. 25 — FedEx Same-Day and FedEx Same-Day City
Also, FedEx First Overnight, FedEx Priority Overnight, and FedEx 2Day will make deliveries on December 24th. A $16 Saturday delivery fee will apply per package.
- Dec. 19 — Last day to ship via UPS 3 Day Select to be delivered before Christmas Day (delivery on Friday, Dec. 23).
- Dec. 21 — This is the last day to ship all UPS 2nd Day Air packages to be delivered before Christmas Day (delivery on Friday, Dec. 23).
- Dec. 22 — Last day to ship all UPS Next Day Air packages to be delivered on Friday, Dec. 23 — This is the last day to ship all UPS 2nd Day Air packages to be delivered before Christmas Day, which must use the Saturday delivery option for delivery on Saturday, Dec. 24
- Dec. 15 – Last day for USPS Retail Ground. Ground service for less-than-urgent deliveries and oversized packages.
- Dec. 20 – First-Class Mail. Service for standard-sized, single-piece envelopes and small packages weighing up to 13 ounces with delivery in 3 business days or less.
- Dec. 21 – Priority Mail. Domestic service in 1, 2 or 3 business days based on where the package is mailed and where it’s being sent, variety of flat-rate options.
- Dec. 23 – Priority Mail Express. Fastest domestic service, guaranteed overnight scheduled delivery to most locations. Some restrictions and exceptions apply.
Retailers like BestBuy, Kmart and Amazon all have their respective deadlines for delivery also. One of the shipping options that will still be in demand as Christmas approaches will be same-day delivery. Large carriers aren’t involved in last-mile delivery as a core competency, therefore retailers may look to a Same-Day Courier like AQuickDelivery to get it done. The Atlanta Courier has the courier expertise and driver fleet to deliver packages throughout Georgia and even nationwide.
Reference: 12.5.16, Yahoo Finance, Brittany Jones-Cooper, Holiday shipping deadlines for UPS, FedEx and major retailers